Board of Trustees
How We Checked Out in 2021
Why Use Your Library?
By using their library cards, Security Public Library
patrons saved $2,656,601 in 2021!
- It has been a busy year at your public library. The library staff and board are especially proud of the following services and accomplishments:
- Security Library was very excited to partner with Widefield Parks and Recreation to install a Family Storywalk around the new playground. In addition, the library has installed three Free Little Libraries in the Colorado Center neighborhood and five in the Security/Widefield area!
- SPL offered a variety of virtual programming during the year. Ms. Molly's weekly, streaming storytimes had over 6.400 views! Our monthly zoom trivia with Ms. Katy challenged, and amused, 202 adults. Two levels of Dungeons & Dragons Club met every week.
- Over 7,000 Take and Make Crafts for all ages were handed out throughout 2021!
- Security Library installed new shelving for our teen collection & new adult fiction, and created a new space for hold pickup and Oversized books.
- SPL's has updated our computers in the children's library. We have installed an Early Literacy Station for ages 2-8, and an After School Station for ages 6-12.
- The 23rd Annual Poetry Contest for kids, teens, and adults encouraged the creation of 158 original poems.
- “Tales and Tails”, the Children’s Summer Reading Program, had 958 children joining the program.
- The Teen Summer Reading Program, "Tales and Tails", kept 226 teens reading throughout the summer.
- The 2021 Fall Story Contest for kids, teens, and adults encouraged the creation of 160 original stories.
- The 22nd Annual Adult Winter Reading Program, “Hygge,” had a total of 250 adult participants.
- SPL helped Security/Widefield create lifelong learners by offering in-person storytimes and outreaches, attended by 3,906 children and their families.
- The Friends of the Security Public Library contributed $4,000 to library programs and contests.
- The library served an estimated population of over 56,000.
- SPL issued 1,208 new library cards, bringing the total registration to 15,429.
- SPL circulated 117,535 books, audio, DVD's and other materials!
- The staff answered over 24,000 informational questions.
- The library presented 900 programs which were attended by 22,762 children, teens, and adults.
- A total of 5,333 new items were added to the collection.
- The staff arranged for patrons to borrow 8,024 items from other library systems. In addition, the library lent 7,948 items to other libraries in the state.
- Staff: 8 full-time & 4 part-time.
- Revenues: $900,000
Board meetings are held the 2nd Thursday of every month, except December, at 6:30 pm. In the meeting room at 715 Aspen Drive, Colorado Springs, Co 8091. Please check our website before attending in case of cancellation. Agendas are posted on our homepage.
Board of Trustees
Diana Leibbrandt, President
Kathy Thomason, Vice President, Treasurer
Kelcie O'Donnell, Secretary
Donna Walsh, School District Representative