How to get a library card
Getting a Security Public Library card is easy and free! Just come in and fill out a registration card, provide a picture ID with your current address on it, and you are good to go! If your current address isn't on the ID, then a piece of mail, other ID, even online statement will work.
Just want access to online content? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your first and last name, email address, physical address, and phone number and we will get you set up with an "Internet Only" card.
Loan Periods, Checkout Limits, Holds, and Renewals
- Check out up to 100 items per card!
- Renewable two times if not on hold (except DVD’s—no renewals).
- Items will auto-renew on their due dates if not on hold (except DVD's).
- All materials check out for 3 weeks. There is no grace period, however we have NO FINES!
- Items placed on hold will be kept at SPL for 7 days once they are ready for pickup.
- Sign up to receive hold & item due notices by text with ShoutBomb!
- Reference materials and newspapers are not loaned.
Your Library Card
To obtain a FREE, full access library card, Colorado residents must present a photo ID and verification of address.
By signing up for library card, the cardholder agrees to return borrowed materials on time, and assume responsibility for lost or damaged items.
Children and Teens
Children and Teens younger than 18 must have parent/guardian signature to obtain library card. The parent/guardian assumes all financial responsibility for charges on that card. A parent/guardian must provide the child’s library card to obtain information about that library account.
Select “My Account” from our website and enter your 14 digit library card number and PIN (last four digits of phone number). This will allow you to place holds, check your account and holds list, and renew items.
In addition to SPL’s 70,000+ items, we offer our patrons access to over 1,350,000+ items through the AspenCat catalog. You can place a hold on an items by accessing “My Account”.
Cannot find what you need in AspenCat? You may borrow up to 10 books at a time through Interlibrary Loan. To place an order, fill out a form at the Circulation Desk, call Reference at 719-391-3195, or order from our website by clicking on Request/Interlibrary Loan.
- Replace a lost, stolen, or damaged card for free (with a valid photo ID)! Please report a lost/stolen card immediately to the library either in person or call 391-3191.
- Patrons will be required to pay the list price for damaged or lost materials. Replacement copies may be accepted (at the discretion of library staff) as long as the NEW item is an exact replacement of the lost/damaged item
- Failure to return materials will result in patron’s account being sent to a collection agency. An additional, non-refundable, $10 fee will be added to the patron’s account.
- Patrons are able to access the above services within the library. Fees are as described below:
- Printing: black & white = first 10 are free, after that each copy is .10, color = .25
- Copier: black & white = .first 10 are free, after that each copy is .10
- Fax: .50 per page, maximum charge of $5
- Scanning: free!
Computer sessions for patrons with library cards are 60 minutes per day. Guests may obtain a pass for 30 minutes per day. Patrons with lost items are barred from computer use. Patron computers have access to the Internet, Microsoft Office Suite, and other programs. An external CD/DVD drive or flash drive may be borrowed from the front desk for in library use.
Laptop computers are available for 2 hour in-library checkout. Checkout requires a library card in good standing, a photo ID, and a signed laptop user agreement. Borrower must be 18 years of age or older.
A wide variety of databases and resources are available through our website including but not limited to:
Streaming movies/music PebbleGo
Learning Express Tumblebooks
Mango Languages Ancestry.com
BrainFuse (Online tutoring, homework help, job skills, practice test, and more!)
...and so much more!!!
Book Drop Returns
Materials may be returned 24 hours a day to the book drop at the library or at the Safeway on Mesa Ridge Pkwy. Items returned to the book drops are checked in the next business day.
Check out our website for monthly programs for all ages, including Summer Reading, contests, story times, and book clubs.
Friends of the Library
This is a non-profit organization which supports libraries, learning, and the promotion of reading. Membership contributions range from $5 per year for an individual membership to $50 for a corporate membership. All contributions are tax deductible.
- Printer, Copier and Fax (pay as you go)
- Wireless Internet
- Meeting Room
- Spring & Fall Used Book Sales
- Library Tours
- Reading Areas
- Laptops for in library use.
Library gratefully accepts cash donations in addition to books, DVDs, music, and audio books.